Tuesday 16 April 2013

My Debut

It was, last Friday, the 12th of April that I visited them. It was nearly 4 months after my previous visit to their place, and unlike my previous visit before which I made sure to practice my singing and sing through my voice exercises, I did not do any such practice last Friday. And just like the previous visit, we did not sing last Friday.

Let me take you back in time, to my birthday in December 2012. Woke up from my bed, and the day began with a short warm up, but which, due to anxiety, was extended till lunch time. I practiced my part, at the least 40 times that morning. It was my birthday, the day when my mother would cook 10 different dishes of my choice, but it was going to be different this year. I better eat light, so that I have belly support to sing. And that’s right! I was singing in a concert, on my birthday, and in one of the oldest and most beautiful churches in my city.
Let me take you back in time, when ‘Aunty’ came over to my house to ask me to join their chorale. I sing, but I was not a trained singer (and the usual attitude of ‘I enjoy singing’, ‘I sing for my own happiness’, etc). And since I’ve always seen myself as a member of a choir whenever I envision my future life, this was a great opportunity. I had nothing to hesitate about, and with my parents’ permission, I FINALLY joined a choir.

And after four months of training from the director of my Chorale, I was now standing on the raised platform which is meant for a soloist, dressed in white, holding the music in my hands, the lights put out and pews of audience holding lit candles facing me, the rest of the choir behind me humming, and I sang, alone, as the flautist played the counter melody… “Silent Night..”
That was my debut in Solo singing. And people whom I knew and did not know heard and acknowledged it, my voice, as it carried to the ends of the aisles unaided my machines.

But it’s hard not to mention the 4 months of practice, with 2 hrs/week combined practice and 1 hr/week individual training and at least 15 mins of daily practice, and Uncle J and Aunty C who were the Director of The Chorale and his wife respectively. The wonderful experience of seeing my voice and singing improve day by day under the guidance of my dear teacher, Uncle J. And it’s harder not to mention, how God fulfilled the desire of my heart, to sing for His glory, how He took me to the best teacher, and how He turned an armature into a soloist. I need another blog to write about all that. 

I can’t but marvel at God’s way of granting you the desires of your heart, especially when they are centered on God. I wanted to sing. I wanted to be a part of a choir. I wanted to always sing God’s praises. But what has given me is more than what I asked for. My wants were so minimal when I compare it with what God had in mind to give me.
4 months have passed since my birthday last year. The concert which I sang as a part of The Chorale, accompanied by The Orchestra, conducted my Uncle J, was among the most beautiful memories of my life. 


Now, as I visited them last Friday, them who were an integral part of my life in the last months of 2012, I was very happy to meet them, but guilty that I hardly practice singing. We did not sing, we had a nice chat, but I dearly missed all the singing.When I was getting ready to leave, Uncle J, who celebrated his 81st birthday the Friday before I visited them, who’s a wonderful and inspirational man, sat up from his bed and spoke to me… And after he learnt from me that I have not be practicing, He told me with his serene smiling face, 

“You are a Soloist”
Words that brought to be the realization, “I’m a Soloist!” 

He told me that I should practice daily. But I know that my voice is not where I left it 4 months back. After the concert, I din't practice. I had no drive to practice. But my!! I’m a soloist (It sounds funny to me every time I think about it, funny but magnificent) I will not let it change now, and I intend never to give it up !! I did it once, I will do it again.

PRACTICE! So that’s what am gonna do!! PRACTICE! Though it may cost some people their peaceful mornings or afternoon naps or evening’s readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment